Life after the Peace Corps. The next chapter begins.....

...At My New Home at Heritage Point

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Anybody Got a Spare Ark?

Last week, out of the clear blue sky, or maybe it was actually a dark gray sky, we had a terrific thunderstorm to match the thunder, lightning and rains of Tampa Bay Florida (which happens to be the lightning capital of the world.)
In 2 short hours it rained enough to completely flood Belize City. Florence, my counterpart at WIN Belize, was at a meeting away from the office. She borrowed an SUV and drove to the closest street to our office that wasn't completely flooded. Minerva and I walked to the car and Florence drove us home, except that when we got close to my road, the water was too deep to drive through. So I had to walk the last two blocks in water sometimes up to my knees. The water was so deep in the back yard that I thought the boat might float, but no water got into my house - except through the window that I had left open! Luckly, the rain stopped that evening and by morning the water had receeded, leaving only a few puddles.

No comments: