Life after the Peace Corps. The next chapter begins.....

...At My New Home at Heritage Point

Friday, April 2, 2010

One week Down, 112 to go!

Greetings,
A lot has happened since my last post. On Wednesday we finished our training at the Peace Corps office and received our assignments for our Community Based Training, which will last for 5 weeks. I feel I was extremely lucky that I was assigned to stay in Belmopan with five other volunteers in the Business Development program. Many volunteers were sent to very remote locations with people who speak no English and have no electricity, no running water, and no internet or phone service in their village! I don't know if I would have done very well in that environment.
My host mother, Ann Lopez, is very nice. She has a 16 year old son, Shea (named after Shea Staduim). She is a school teacher and has lived in Chicago, Houston and Seattle, so she is extremely familiar with American culture and speaks perfect English - another lucky break! Also, she has had other Peace Corps volunteers who have all been men, so I think she is enjoying talking to me, as much as I am to her.
Easter is the biggest holiday of the year here in Belize. All the stores closed on Thursday night and won't re-open unti lTuesday because they also celebrate Easter Monday. Ninety five percent of the country is Catholic, but Ann is a Baptist, so we cleaned the church on Thursday evening. I was right in my element, grabbing the mop and bucket and digging in. This morning we went back to church becasue Ann had bell practice and this afternoon we went to Good Friday services. No lightning bolts hit the church, so all is well!
Ann's aunt is the principal of the school here and she also has a Peace Corps volunteer from my group. They are going to Hopkins, which is a beautiful city on the Caribbean, and we have been invited to go with them. They have rented a cottage owned by Americans right on the beach. When I called my Peace Corps supervisor to ask her if I could go (which we do for safety purposes, so they always know where we are), she advised me not to tell the other members of our group where Brooke and I are going because they would be very jealous, since it is one of the most beautiful places in the country! Whenever good things happened to Mom she would always say it was Cruea luck (her maiden name) because my Grandfather was always lucky. Maybe she has transferred a little to me! We will leave Saturday morning after the 160 mile bicycle race that goes across the country. It is a very big event with lots of international riders. Ann's brother e has come from Houston to race tomorrow on the Belcal team (Belieze California).
Ah si yu layta and have a blessed Easter!

No comments: